Thursday 3 April 2014

ALPS to OCEAN BICYCLE TOUR - Day 2 - Tekapo to Twizel, New Zealand



Having had coffee, we drove to where the Tekapo Canal exits into Lake Pukaki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Pukaki where we mounted our bikes  for our first ride of the day. Initially the ride was on a sealed road. At the 5.8 km mark we diverted onto the LakesideTrail which was a gravel road  narrowing into an almost single track in parts and was the type of off road cycling I really like and do whenever I get the chance. We followed the trail for 11 km along the edge of Lake Pukaki where we boarded our buses and headed for The Hermitage, Mt. Cook



Lake Pukaki
Nothing like climbing a hill off road to make you feel alive


Lake Pukaki
A couple of Jimmy Bee's cousins enjoying nature
Lake Pukaki contrasting with an array of alpine grasses
Lake Pukaki

In past posts, I have alluded to from time to time, how the marriage between cycling and photography works extremely well and with a little imagination and skill that photography can be expressed in an art form. The photograph below of a single Scotch Thistle flower with the help of Picasa  http://picasa.google.com.au/ and a little tweeking, a simple photograph becomes a piece of art. I might even have it placed on a piece of canvas for my own enjoyment.



Scotch Thistle flower


As there was so much involved in day 2, I have decided to pause here, and then in the next post, I'll tell you about Mt. Cook and the Tasman Glacier as well as our undulating descent down to Twizel.


I use Map my Ride for simplicity and elevation information. Become a member (free) and find similar rides within the area and elsewhere.

I really appreciate receiving good, constructive and polite comments.


Cheers and safe riding,
Jimmy Bee

No comments:

Post a Comment