Monday 23 June 2014

CYCLING LOGAN CENTRAL - Slacks Creek & East West Routes



This ride following the Slacks Creek route started in Meakin Park, Slacks Creek, just off Paradise Road, following the creek line on well maintained, wide concrete paths.

 
 
As this was the second time we have ridden this route, it was a pleasant surprise to find nicely presented, well maintained paths.
 

The first time we rode here was in summer, on a very hot, humid day, which was hard enough but confronted with large portions of broken glass, causing a number of punctures, was the last straw and some of us declared that we wouldn't be back. Time, however, does have a habit of healing bad memories and so here we are back in Logan, riding in winter this time and experiencing very little broken glass. The result......a very pleasant ride.
 


Approximately 4 km into the ride at Meadowbank, we joined the East West Route, which takes you all the way to Greenbank, however, due to the time and the need to be back in Cleveland before 3 p.m. we elected to turn around earlier than planned, but we will be back.



A focal point which attracted our interest was the old pioneer cemetery which is clearly visible from the path. Imagine the hard yakka these men and women would have had to endure to not only carve out of virgin bush a place to build a home but also taking scrub and converting it to a viable food producing lot and all by hand . Life would have been extremely hard


 Following the ever changing line of a creek makes the ride all the more interesting. Personally, I feel cooler on a hot day when I can see water. Now, I don't know whether there is a physical explanation for this or whether it is purely psychological, but it certainly works for me. I feel that councils should, if at all practical, design their routes following the meandering contours of creeks and streams.

  


The signage, this time around was much improved and easy to follow, a trend I have noticed on a lot of my rides in and around Brisbane of late and one which would be appreciated by all recreational cyclists using off road cycling routes.
  
 
 
 
 
The Berrinba Wetlands was certainly a highlight. A pretty lake with varied birdlife including Pelicans, one of my favourite birds, a modern, covered interpretive centre overlooking the wetlands, picnic shelters, clean toilets and one of the best moving sculptures I have seen. A lot of innovative thought has gone into the planning of this area thanks to Logan City Council,  so why not pack the kids into the car and head for this spot with or without bikes as there are plenty of walking tracks to entertain the whole family. For more information, open the following link:  http://www.logan.qld.gov.au/facilities-and-recreation/parks/parks-directory/berrinba-wetlands
 
 I'm about to close this post but before I do I have to tell you where I bought the tastiest chicken salad sandwich I have ever had. The address is 357 Browns Plains Road, Crestmead. I kid you not, it was the freshest, tastiest chicken salad sandwich I have ever tasted and I bought it from the Logan in Sports Centre - http://www.insportslogan.com.au/
 
 I use Map my Ride for simplicity and elevation information. Become a member (free) and find similar rides within the area and elsewhere.

I really appreciate receiving good, constructive and polite comments.


Cheers and safe riding,
Jimmy Bee
  

No comments:

Post a Comment