Monday 17 December 2012

A TASTE OF 2012 RIDES

2012 has been a busy year for me in regard to cycling with the highlight being the week long ride along the East Gippsland Rail Trail in Victoria. It was shortly after this that I started my blog and  this post will be my 50th. I taught my Grandson to ride and we continue to ride together whenever possible. Our new group "Peddling Pathfinders" was formed as an offshoot of "Peddling For Pleasure" and this is proving successful under the direction of our leader David Sallows. To cap it all off, I welcomed a new steed into my stable in the form of a Scott Sportster 25 and named him "Scotty"(very original) and he is serving me well.
 
 
As this is my last post for 2012, I thought I would shine the spotlight on  some of the rides I participated in during the year.


*     CYCLING SHORNCLIFFE TO NEWPORT


Scenes around Redcliffe, Qld.





    CYCLING ASCOT TO SOUTH BANK, QLD.


Breakfast Creek






    CYCLING TO THE FARMERS MARKET AT MANLY



Manly Farmers Markets


Mouth watering, cakes, fresh fruit etc. at the Manly Farmers Market

 
*     CYCLING CLIFTON--EASTERN SIDE

Clifton District


Clifton District





    CYCLING and SWELL SCULPTURES

"The world of reality has it's limits, the world of imagination is boundless"......Jean-Jacques Rousseau


Sculpture at Currumbin Beach

Sculpture at Currumbin Beach

 

Swell sculpture at Currumbin Beach







*     CYCLING THE BOONDALL WETLANDS


Boondall wetlands ride


Boondall Wetlands
 



 




    CYCLING BURLEIGH HEADS TO THE SPIT


Burleigh Heads


Surfers Paradise


    

*       EAST GIPPSLAND RAIL TRAIL AND BEYOND






East Gippsland Rail Trail

East Gippsland Rail Trail
 
*     CYCLING KINGSCLIFF TO POTTSVILLE, NSW


Surfing at Cudgen Beach

An Osprey keeping an eagle eye on things


















One of the many sculptures to be enjoyed on this ride
 














Comfortable bar on Salt Beach




*     CYCLING CLEVELAND TO PT. TALBURPIN, QLD.


Cleveland Harbour



Views along Santaguiliana Way


Cleveland & Thornlands


 

NB. The above maps are only to be used as an indication of the route and should be used in conjunction with a more detailed map.  The above map depicting the route from Cleveland to Pt. Talburpin, may not be suitable to all recreational cyclists due to the heavy traffic and therefore would be advisable to contact Redland Tourism on the following link  :
 
 
You may also like to view the following tabs:
 

www.u3aredlands.com.au (If you are looking for a group to ride with.)
 
translink.com.au/ (Great for maps in and around Brisbane.)
 
www.bq.org.au   (For all things cycling in Queensland.)
 
http://www.bbta.org/   (This group is very active and organised. They are also into touring))
 
http://www.rtcycles.com.au/    (Great bike shop who are agents for GIANT, good mechanics, friendly to deal with.)
 

On March 6, 2013, U3A Redlands,  Peddling For Pleasure group is heading to Hawkes Bay on the North Island of New Zealand for a week's riding and everyone within the group is eagerly awaiting this trip. I will certainly be keeping you posted as to the outcome of this ride when I return.

2013 is going to be a big year for the Peddling Pathfinders Group. Although still in it's infancy, we have already accrued a number of areas to explore, some will be one day trips and others necessitating an overnight stop.

I have or am in the process of getting a number of items of gear which I will road test and bring you the results during the year. These include:
  • Bell helmet
  • Swalbe touring tyres
  • SPD pedals & cleats
  • Shimano SPD shoes
Also on the agenda for next year, I intend posting a variety of interesting topics but haven't decided  on how I will deliver them, however, I will inform you early in the new year.

Many thanks to all my peddling pals and a special thank you to Dave Sallows for his prompt action in assisting me with detailed ride information.

I would like to wish you all a merry Christmas and may the new year be an exciting and safe one for you and your families.


Jimmy Bee



No comments:

Post a Comment