Monday 20 August 2012

WHEREVER YOU CYCLE THERE WILL BE A SIGN



I've never really thought much about signs until I was riding the other day and noticed the number of signs confronting the cyclist each and every day we ride. That is of course unless you are a mountain biker and then you may not see any at all. Anyway it aroused my thought patterns and as a result I am here writing this post displaying a variety of signs I have personally ridden past.


















Looking at all these signs makes me think of the song "Signs" by the Five Man Electrical Band where in one part the lyrics expressed.......

                                          " Sign, sign, everywhere a sign
                                             Blockin' out the scenery, breakin'my mind
                                             Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign"


Of course, on the other hand, without signs we would spend a great deal of time walking or riding around in circles, so I suppose that in some cases they are a necessary evil.


Good graphics always make a sign more pleasing to the eye. In the above case it evokes a feeling of helplessness, anger and frustration that animals can be made to suffer so much through the laziness, lack of empathy and sheer bastardry towards other creatures.


I find the above sign to be interesting in that the number 69 or soixante - neuf is held in juxtaposition to the sign "On this site in 1897 nothing happened", or is this purely co-incidental. I think it is clever in that it leaves the interpretation open to the reader.


This fruit concoction was as flavoursome as the sign suggests. Pure heaven for the thirsty cyclist after all those " sign, sign, everywhere a sign" signs.

Cheers and safe riding,
Jimmy Bee




No comments:

Post a Comment